I made this dress a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to share with you (if you follow my instagram you already had a sneak peek). I fell in love with this pocketed dress after seeing it on pinterest and decided to make my own version for summer.
A couple of tips for sewing leather (or faux leather) on your sewing machine.
- use a needle made for sewing leather
- use a stronger thread like one that is made for upholstery
- make your stitches wider than normal
- helps to have a teflon foot (makes the leather glide through easier) but it's not necessary
- pinning leather is usually a no-no, but as you can see I did pin it in a couple of places and it turned out just fine
Also, I would pick leather that is on the thinner side but still has some structure (even mine was a bit too thick and if I did it again I would use something thinner).
The dress I used is from the Gap and can be found here. Also, if you end up making this or adding leather pockets to anything else send me the link, I would love to see.
You might also like metallic elbow patch sweater