PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DIY: Leather Pockets




I made this dress a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to share with you (if you follow my instagram you already had a sneak peek). I fell in love with this pocketed dress after seeing it on pinterest and decided to make my own version for summer.

A couple of tips for sewing leather (or faux leather) on your sewing machine.
  • use a needle made for sewing leather
  • use a stronger thread like one that is made for upholstery
  • make your stitches wider than normal
  • helps to have a teflon foot (makes the leather glide through easier) but it's not necessary
  • pinning leather is usually a no-no, but as you can see I did pin it in a couple of places and it turned out just fine
Also, I would pick leather that is on the thinner side but still has some structure (even mine was a bit too thick and if I did it again I would use something thinner). 

The dress I used is from the Gap and can be found here. Also, if you end up making this or adding leather pockets to anything else send me the link, I would love to see.

 You might also like metallic elbow patch sweater
 

4 comments:

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

I was just reading about leather pockets on Monday, a fantastic idea Ali! Love the result!

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

So cute! It makes such an impact with the stripes. Great job!

Unknown said...

Genius! I send you a dress so you can do mine :) xoxo

opportunityknits said...

so cute! I just bought some faux leather to make elbow patches on cardigans. This is another great idea for faux leather.